You guys! This is my first post so be kind. First things first: food photography is damn hard! How does everyone make it look so easy? After reading numerous posts I will now be investing in some cute accessories for staging and a white board for getting my light right. At least I knew enough to shoot on my dining table where the light was much better than my little kitchen.
Now that that is over, let’s get to the good stuff which is this week’s Sunday bake! It’s summer which means peach time. I love peaches, I love pie, and I loved this peach pie.
The whole process was fairly easy, even for this novice baker, and the results were delicious.
I started with Ina Garten’s perfect pie crust recipe found here. I followed it pretty closely, but I unfortunately only have a mid sized food processor so I had to chop the butter by hand and work it in that way. My crust was not the prettiest, but it worked and resulted in a mostly flaky crust all the way through.
I divided the dough in about half and rolled out the “bigger half” and carefully placed it inside my pie pan. Make sure to leave a little more overhang than I did. It’ll result in more material to make a pretty crust. I saved the rest of the dough for the top crust.
Now for the filling. I used Trader Joe’s frozen peaches and they worked like a dream. I just let them defrost a bit so it didn’t add too much extra moisture to my pie. I added the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt and gave it a good mix.
Mmm…looks good already. Then I added the filling to the bottom layer of dough and then rolled out what was left of the dough. I used a pizza cutter to roll thin strips. If you want a super meticulous look use a ruler. Mine was a lil’ more rustic so I just eyeballed it and laid the strips in a weaving pattern. Next seal the crust and I used a fork to make it look a little more presentable.
Finally brush the crust with a beaten egg and sprinkle with some sugar.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 35-40 mins. Look for that golden brown crust and bubbly peach filling.
- Pie dough (I used Ina Garten’s)
- 1 bag of frozen peaches (16 oz.)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten
- granulated sugar to finish
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees, make sure the rack is in the bottom third of the oven.
- In a big bowl whisk the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt together. Add the peaches and some of their juice. Toss them to coat.
- Roll out about half of the dough in a circleish. Place your pie pan upside down on top of the circle making sure the dough is a few inches larger than the pan. Carefully invert. Do not cut the excess dough.
- Pour the filling in.
- Roll out the remaining dough. Using a pizza cutter cut half inch strips. Layer these on top of the pie in a weaving pattern. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle liberally with sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Let it cool before slicing. Enjoy!
And voila! You have a delicious peach pie and I’ve written my first blog post! Have a lovely week folks and I’ll see you on Sunday!