Happy Sunday everyone! This week was birthday week. Throughout my life I’ve looked upon this week with trepidation knowing that in the span of five days I had to celebrate my brother’s, mom’s, and dad’s birthday. Don’t get me wrong, I love each of them and each one deserves a blow out celebration to end all celebrations. It just gets to be a bit much.
When I married my awesome dude we added in two more birthdays to birthday week (grandma and my lovely mother in law).
Needless to say the week was filled with desserts. Here is the bake I did for my dad’s birthday, a moist, delicious chocolate bundt that turned out looking like a giant doughnut! It was a win in my book.
I got this recipe from my friend Lauren at one of our weekly Bachelor viewings. It’s one of those shockingly easy, throw everything in a bowl and bake types of recipes.
You’ll need a box of devil’s food cake mix, 3 oz sour cream, 1 small package of instant chocolate pudding mix, chocolate chips, and whatever is required for the cake mix itself (in my case eggs, water, and oil). For the glaze you’ll need heavy whipping cream and chocolate chips. For birthday week pizazz you need sprinkles…lots and lots of sprinkles.
Throw the cake mix and its required ingredients, the pudding mix, sour cream, and a cup of chocolate chips in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
Spray a bundt pan liberally with cooking spray to make sure your cake comes out without holes or craters. Dump the batter into the pan like so.
Next bake according the the package instructions. My package said about 50 mins, but because of all the extra moisture we added with the sour cream my cake was still not quite set. I ended up adding an extra 10 minutes to my bake time. Your cake should be moist but not raw. Pay close attention to your cake and check with the good ol’ toothpick (if it comes out clean you’re good, if it comes out wet and gloopy bake for longer).
While your cake is cooling (let it cool completely…I know it’s so hard!) whip up this super easy ganache glaze. Put equalish parts chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. I put a bit more chocolate than cream because when I started heating mine it looked more like chocolate milk than ganache.
Microwave for 30 seconds then stir. Continue microwaving for 15 second intervals stirring in between until the glaze has reached a smooth consistency for pouring.
Turn your cake out onto a plate or pretty pedestal. Drape the gorgeous glaze all over that baby! Last, but not least add some flair and color contrast by raining down a shower of happiness upon it (sprinkles…duh!).
There you have it- a beautiful bake fit for a birthday celebration.
- box of Devil’s Food cake mix + its required ingredients
- 3 oz sour cream
- 1 small package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 pkg chocolate chips
- heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to the temperature indicated on the box cake mix. In a large bowl mix the cake mix and required ingredients, sour cream, pudding mix, and chocolate chips until they are nicely incorporated.
- Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray making sure to get into all the cracks. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for the time indicated on the box of cake mix plus about 10 mins.
- Let cool completely.
- Prepare the glaze by putting equal parts chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds then stir. Continue microwaving in 15 second intervals stirring in between until completely melted. Adjust the amount of chocolate as you go.
- Turn out onto a plate or pedestal.
- Drizzle glaze over the cake. Top with sprinkles. Enjoy!
There you have it, friends. Whether you’re celebrating a week of birthdays, a job well done, or just that it’s Sunday I hope this cake treats you well. Until next week!