Welcome back, friends! This week’s bake is a batch of big soft oatmeal cookies. To spice things up they feature raisins soaked in rum. It has been a rainy weekend here in Seattle and the only way to cheer myself up was to bake these comforting cookies and munch on one (or two…let’s be real) while reading by the window. It was the perfect remedy to a fall that has come too soon. I hope you enjoy this recipe and thanks to my good friend Lauren for the idea and recipe this week! 🙂
Okay start by soaking one cup of raisins in some rum…just eyeball it. The longer you let it soak the better.
When you’re ready to bake set your oven to 375 degrees and adjust the rack to the middle. In a mixer beat together 1/2 cup softened butter and 1/2 cup shortening until they are well incorporated.
Next add in 1 cup of packed brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Mix until light and fluffy!
Mmmm looking good! Now add 2 eggs one at a time mixing well in between. To finish up these wet ingredients add in 1 tbsp light corn syrup and 1 tsp vanilla until mixed well.
After that work on your dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix 1 and 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp salt.
Carefully add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients. Mix until incorporated.
Now take those yummy raisins and strain. Maybe save that shot or two of rum for yourself? Just a suggestion…
Anyways…using a silicone spatula gently stir in 3 cups oats and the raisins.
This week I finally bought some of those awesome spring loaded ice cream scoops! They are amazing. Using this little guy made my cookies super uniform and saved my hands from sticky work.
Use your preferred tool to shape 1 tbsp sized balls of oatmeal love and place them about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
You get a little peak at my house! 🙂 Alright now bake for about 8-11 minutes. I accidentally burned the bottoms of some of mine, so be careful! Let them sit on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before you pull them off to cool on a cookie rack.
Now enjoy with your choice of beverage, book, and cozy spot.
These oatmeal cookies are pretty much perfection- soft, fluffy, with a little bit of crunch on the outside.
Have one or three and enjoy your week, my friends!
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 and 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup raisins soaked in rum
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a standing mixer beat together butter and shortening until well blended. Add the sugars, beat until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well in between. Add in corn syrup and vanilla. Beat until well incorporated.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet slowly and beat on low until combined. With a silicone spatula add in the oats and strained raisins.
- Form into 1” balls and place about 2” apart on the cookie sheets. Bake for 8-11 mins. Let it sit on the pan for about 2 mins after you take them out of the oven then move to a wire cooling rack.