Hello Bakers! If you need a new crowd pleaser to add to your arsenal these are it! These cutie cookies are just as pleasing to the eye as they are to the tastebuds. I grew up baking sugar cookies that had some shape and crunch, but these are a whole different story. They’re soft, chewy, and sweet. These are also way less fussy than your traditional sugar cookie which has to be chilled in between being rolled out (which can take some serious bicep/tricep action). This dough is like rolling out a soft happy cloud…ahhh….
Alright enough talking, let’s get to baking! Start by creaming together two cups sugar, one cup margarine, 3 eggs, and 6 tablespoons milk until will combined. Then add 5 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and 5 tsp baking powder and combine (SLOWLY at first…that a lot of dry ingredients) until a dough just forms.
Spread some flour on a clean work surface and flour a rolling pin to roll your dough out to 3/8 inch thickness (thicker than normal sugar cookies). I did about a third of the dough at a time. Cut out cookies using cookie cutters or whatever you have around. I used my trusty mason jar lid again! These will not hold intricate shapes as well as other sugar cookies so keep that in mind.
Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. IT WILL NOT BE BROWNED…like at all…and that’s how they’re supposed to be. If it’s still wetish (not set) let it go a little longer, but you don’t want any brown.
Set on a cooling rack to cool and keep going with the rest of the cookies. This recipe yielded tons of cookies for me…like 4 dozen!
When the cookies are completely cool you can frost them. Simply mix 1/4 cup softened butter, 4 oz softened cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla, a dash of salt, 3 cups powdered sugar, and 3 tbsp milk in a standing mixer until totally combined. If you’d like now is also the time to color with food coloring. Top with sprinkles or leave plain.
These cookies turned out so cute and yummy!
I’ll be making them again and again…
Let me know what you think about these!
Happy baking, everyone!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup margarine
- 3 eggs
- 6 tbsp milk
- 5 cups AP flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- dash of salt
- food coloring (optional)
- sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a standing mixer cream sugar, margarine, eggs, and milk. Add in the remaining cookie ingredients and mix until just combined.
- On a clean and well-floured surface roll out 1/3 of your dough at a time to about 3/8 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters and place on parchment lined pan. Bake 10 minutes until just set and not yet brown. Cool on a cookie rack.
- To make the frosting mix all ingredients in a standing mixer until well incorporated. Optionally add food coloring while the frosting is being mixed.
- Frost completely cooled cookies and top with sprinkles if desired.