Hello Bakers and Happy Sunday. Don’t be alarmed by the name of this week’s bake unless you can’t handle a cookie that packs a burst of lemony punch! Last week we had a lovely Easter celebration with our friends and family. I wanted to bake something Springy and fresh so I decided to go with this lemon cookie that my mom has been baking for years. They are a small dense cookie packed with real lemon flavor. The secret is all in the lemon zest! These are perfect for a tea parties, picnics, bridal showers, Mother’s Day or if you’re a lemon lover like me any day! These are easy to make, but they feel super classy and springy to me.
Start off by whisking 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup corn starch, and 1/4 tsp salt together in a medium bowl. Then beat 1 stick of room temp butter until it is light and fluffy. Add in 1/2 cup powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Then add 1 Tbsp lemon zest and 2 Tbsps fresh squeezed lemon juice. Beat until incorporated. Then add the flour mixture and beat on low until the dry ingredients are all incorporated.
Take a break, maybe even clean the kitchen while your dough waits in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
After your dough has rested preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment. Now gather a 1 Tbsp amount of dough and roll it into a smooth ball in your hands. I accidentally skipped this part the first time I made these and while they were still yummy they were not too pretty.
Let the unused dough rest in the fridge while the other dough balls are baking. Place them on the baking sheet and bake 11-13 minutes until the bottoms are just getting brown. The tops should still be quite pale. Let them cool on a cooling rack.
When all your cookies have been baked and cooled whip up the glaze. I was amazed by how easy this was. Simply get out a small mixing bowl and whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar and 2-3 Tbsps fresh lemon juice. A glossy glaze will appear in seconds. Zest a lemon and put the lemon zest in a small bowl to the side. Dip each cookie head first into the glaze, set on the cooling rack, top with some zest, and wait until the glaze has hardened to serve.
These cookies are beautiful and delicious. I hope you love them as much as I do!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsps (1 stick) butter softened to room temp
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 Tbsps fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsps lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter until it is light and fluffy. Add in sugar and beat until smooth. Add in zest and lemon juice and beat until smooth. Add in the flour mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Refrigerate the dough 30 mins-1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop 1 Tbsp increments of dough and roll in your hands until they resemble small smooth balls. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake 11-13 mins until the bottoms of the mounds just get brown (the tops will still be pale).
- When all cookies have been baked and cooled on a cooling rack make the glaze by whisking the remaining powdered sugar and lemon juice together. Dip each cookie top into the glaze then let drip dry on a cooling rack. Before the glaze hardens make sure to top with a little lemon zest for garnish and flavor. Enjoy!